Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Utah 2007 Motorcycle Ride - Day 5

Zions, Bryce, Escalante, Boulder, Torrey



We got out of the hotel at 8:00 and stopped at a cafe in Kanab to eat breakfast.

Our first destination was Zions National Park. I setup my camera to make a video as we drove down into Zions. I wasn't sure just where and what I'd see in the park, and it turns out that the road in and all of the views really are most of what makes up the drivable version of Zions. We stopped at the visitors center and gift shop.

We saw that there is another section to drive, but you either have to pay allot to drive it, or pay to go on a tour bus. But we have a long ways to go so we just headed back up and out.

We stopped at a gas station on the way out. I emptied one of my saddle bags, then filled it with water bottles and ice. It was very nice to have cold water as we rode around.

We started up the road towards Bryce canyon. Several times I saw signs saying that we were in a deer migration zone, and I noticed that my friend slowed down. Later he told me that he'd been down this road before, and one time he had 3 deer run out of the tree right as he approached, but he had his feet on pegs and leaning back so he made no effort to stop. Luckily the ran inches BEHIND him. If he'd actually tried to slow down, he would have hit them.

It was near noon as we got near Bryce so we decided to eat before going in. There was a restauraunt about 5 miles before the park saying that it had famous Soups and Pies so we decided to try that. I got a burger that was as good as anything I've ever had. It had a great sear crust on a hand made patty. My lemon cream pie was just ok, but my friends said the chocolate cream pie was fantastic.

We entered the park and took pictures by rolling the bikes up on the widewalk surrounding the park sign. Then we headed for the overlooks.

The canyons are kind of surreal to look at. There are so many Hoodoos that it kind of boggles your mind. Then to see trees, trails and people walking down through them it got wierder. Pictures are good, but they don't really do the place justice.

After the park we started toward Escalante, BOulder, and out final stop for the night, Torrey. My friend told me it would be a neat ride with more twists than we've been doing. He way under stated the ride.

We rode about 35 minutes of kind of average Utah riding, a few small canyons and some climbing when we stopped because he needed a rest. He laid down on a wall by the rest stop so I took a pic of him.

When we continued, the road started getting more and more twisty with climbs and drops all over, then they got REALLY big. We dropped into a large canyon and as we climbed back out, I realized we were running down a ridge with large chasms on either side.

The views were great but there was not much time for picture taking.

After Boulder, we started a major climb up over the shoulder of a mountain. Again, there were lots and lots of twists and turns. The temperature in the canyons was warm but comfortable, probably 75. But once we climbed out of Boulder the temps droped down into the low 50s, and the windchill was very cold.

I practiced my MSF techniques and kept my eyes up and turned my head to look where I was going rather than just my eyes. My friend recently took the MSF instructor course and kept prompting me to improve my technique.

The whole ride was really fun, but I was exhausted by the time we got to Torrey.

Our hotel was a great little Inn run by a family. There were chairs sitting out on the porch in front of the rooms. There was no cell service and no internet so we had the quietest evening I've had in a long time.

Entering Zion National park



Down by the Visitor Center.  (I took video on the way in, so no photos)

Starting our way out

Climbing out of Zion
 
Entering the 1 mile Dark Tunnel out of Zion

More Zion pictures

Turning onto the higway toward Bryce

Here's my friends stopped and taking photos

The hole in the rock for the highway
 
Entering Bryce Canyon National Park
 
Bryce
 
On the way to Escalante
 
My friend taking his nap with Powel Point in the background

Climbing up on to the ridge with sheer drops beside us

Someone biking the ridge

Looking left, then looking right
 
Another on the ridge

Up on the mountain between Boulder and Torrey
 
The view out our hotel window

I got a view photos from my friend's camera & I finally got the video of the ride into Zions finished and uploaded.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgNK17oMoZE


 
 
 
 
 
 
The restauraunt near Bryce where we ate lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment