Friday, June 8, 2007

Utah 2007 Motorcycle Ride - Day 1

Colorado Springs, Monarch Pass, Gunnison



I'm riding my motorcycle over to Utah and touring some of the wonderful National Parks there.

I wanted to leave work at 3:00, but I got tied up with a few things and didn't make it out until 4:30. On the way out of town I wanted to stop by a motorcycle shop and pickup a windshield pouch. That's a small pouch that ties onto my handlebars and sits between the handlebars and my windshield. I can put small things like sunglasses, chapstick, wallet, etc.

I found one that will work and then spotted a really nice Tour Master sissy bar bag that I've been wanting to buy. On a whim, I went ahead and bought the bag even though I don't need the extra storage right now. I put the bag onto the passenger seat and stretched the mount band over the sissy bar.nbsp; Then I headed for I-25 and turned South.

I took highway 155 past Fort Carson and connected with highway 50 going west. The first 20 miles are kind of boring and straight, but eventually we meet up with the Arkansas river and follow the river turn for turn for about 30 miles.

There were some nasty decreasing radius U turns and allot of RVs and Semis with just a few passing lanes so I learned the joy of passing vehicles while turning. I got a few pictures through the twisties but mostly in between the turns because I wanted to live through the ride.

I gassed up in Salida and put the wind liner into my jacket to prepare for the climb over Monarch pass. I
checked the bike over and everything looked good so I did a few stretches and headed out.

Highway 50 was very empty West of Salida. I'd pass an oncoming car about once every 5 minutes so I really relaxed and enjoyed the climb. The temperature plumeted as I neared the pass. It was well below freezing and the sun was near the horizon. I stopped to get a picture and noticed that my trunk was hanging at an odd angle.

At first I thought the bolts holding the trunk to the luggage rack were loose and that the trunk was sliding off. But after checking closer I realized that the luggage rack had broken and was almost broken completely off. I only had some clothes in the trunk so I moved those to my new bag and strapped the trunk on with bungee cords.

Then since the sun was going down and I was freezing I started the last 30 miles to Gunnison.

I arrived in Gunnison without the trunk completely falling off. But once I checked into my hotel I took the bungees off and with only a little bit of work I broke the entire luggage rack off the bike. Tomorrow I'll
find the post office and mail the trunk home.

While I was checking into the hotel I realized that my reading glasses weren't in my riding jacket pocket. I remember taking them out of my jacket at work and must have left them there. So I headed to find a walmart and buy a new pair. Once I had some glasses I looked for somewhere to eat. I found Las Palmas mexican restraunt still open at 9:50. As I sat down and took my jacket off, I felt my original glasses in my shirt pocket. Oh well, I'll be able to read twice as well now.

Highway 155 going South past Fort Carson


My Shadow on Higway 155


Highway 155 nearing Highway 50


Highway 50 and the Arkansas River





Highway 50


Monarch Pass


My Trunk and the luggage rack that used to be attached to my bike


No comments:

Post a Comment