Saturday, June 30, 2007

Clay and Nan Escape to Rocky Mountain National Park

June 2007 - Clay & Nannette - Rocky Mountain National Park

On Friday afternoon as I headed home from work, it occured to me that we had no commitments for the weekend. By the time I got home, I had a plan in my head for kidnapping my wife and going somewhere fun.

I asked Nannette and she agreed. So with only 30 minutes of planning, and a quickly arranged hotel reservation, we were in the car and headed North. The bad planning part was going through Denver during rush hour, but even that was fine because we were out of the house, away from the kids (we still love you all, but.....).

Our stop for the night was Fort Collins. Not because it was the closest to Rocky Mountain National Park, but because my family lived there while my father attended Veterinary school. I attended kinder garten there, and I have allot of memories playing with our neighbors and my brothers. We stopped by the duplex that we used to live in, then to the church where I attended school.

The next day we drove up to Rocky Mountain National Park. Neither of us had ever been there so we didn't know what to expect. We took highway 34 to Estes Park. The road is narrow windey and would have been a blast on my motorcycle. We gassed up in Estes Park, then bought some chicken from KFC to eat for lunch in the park.

The drive through the park was beautiful. The trees, meadows, and mountains make some breathtaking scenery. We stopped at a place called Aluvian Fan where a dam had broken and dumped allot of trees and boulders several years ago. It made a beautiful set of steep rapids.

You climb up and over the mountain range when you drive through the park. We ate lunch by a lake on the far side of the pass.

Nannette and me as we left


Our duplex home in Fort Collins



The church where I attended kinder garten.


Entering Rocky Mountain National Park




The mountains we drove over.


At the Aluvial Fan





Climbing up the mountains


An overlook



Driving at the top of the mountains








 
Crossing the Continental Divide

 
Some Elk near a lake

 
Lunch

 
Descending the mountains and leaving the park

No comments:

Post a Comment