Saturday, May 2, 2015

Riding around Colorado with Sydnee

We woke up at 7:30, but it was pretty cold outside, so we went had a leisurely breakfast in the lobby.  They had something that looked kinda like scrambled eggs, sausagish patties, hash brown triangles, and waffles.  I had some eggs.  Sydnee had some of everything.  She was really hungry.  Eggs, sausage, waffle, bagle, banana, and I'm sure she had more once I went back to the room.

Back at the room I dampened a towel, then went out to wipe down the motorcycle.  It had rained a few times through the night so the dirt was well soaked and came off easily.  I started packing stuff back onto the bike.  We were ready to go by 9:00.  It was still a bit chilly, but the sky was clear and the sunshine felt great.

We turned West on Highway 160 towards Monte Vista, then North on 285 toward Saguache.  We stopped there to buy a snack and take a break.  We hadn't taken a single picture all the way across the San Louis valley because nothing really jumped out at us worth picturing.  That is one big valley.

From Saguache, we turned North West on highway 114.  Ita seldom travelled road that leads up to Gunnison.  It's mostly used when highway 50 is closed over Monarch Pass.  We had to use it 2 summers ago when a big accident closed highway 50, and I remember thinking that it was a real hidden jewel of a road.

We cruised along the empty road enjoying the fresh air and the views until the storms begin to gather along the tops of the mountains to either side of us.  Nothing ever descended into the valley we were following, but the temperature began to drop.  Eventually we climbed out of the valley and into pine trees as we got near Cochetopa Pass.  By the time we reached the top, it was 48 degrees, completely cloud covered, and Sydnee was very chilly.

We stopped for a quick picture and to let Sydnee put on my big coat.  We took down the Pacific side of the pass and quickly broke back out into sunshine and more warmth.  The scenery got even better as we rode one, and eventually we entered a pretty little canyon with red rocks that wound along beside a little creek (probably a river).

It was so pretty that we turned around and rode back down, then back up.  We really liked that 10 mile section of road.  By the time we'd ridden the canyon for the 3rd time, the clouds were closing in behind us.

We arrived in Gunnison a little after noon.  I checked the weather on my iPhone and saw big storms all around us.  We weren't going to ride very far without getting soaked.  After a bit of thought I decided that we were going to stop in Gunnison.  Maybe we could do some riding after the storms passed, but I had no desire to try to ride over Monarch Pass with those storms around us.

We checked into the Comfort Inn, then went to get lunch at the "Gunnisack" restaurant.  I've eaten here before and it was pretty good if a bit heavy.  Sydnee barely ate half of her burger, and I had a roast beef dip sandwich.

After lunch we went to Walmart to look for a pair of gloves and some swim goggles for Sydnee.  They didn't have either one.

We rode a few miles North to see if the storms were breaking, but they weren't.  So instead of riding, we went back to hotel and got our swim suits.  The hotel had a great indoor pool and spa.  I sat in the spa until I was so sleepy I was going to drown.  Sydnee really wanted to stay, but I explained why she couldn't be there by herself.

We went back to the room and I took a short nap to break the lethargy the spa had caused.

By now it was after 3:00 and the weather map showed that most of the storms had passed.  We got on the bike and headed West on highway 50.  I could still see storms North of us, so we couldn't ride up to Crested Butte.  I figured we could ride over to see Blue Mesa Reservoire and maybe even ride up the North side of Black Canyon (one of my favorite roads).

We were half way down the reservoir before I realised that I hadn't bought gass before we left Gunnison.  The bike was down to 1/4 tank.  I was pretty sure I could get back to Gunnison on the gas I had left, but it would be a close thing.  I stopped to check for the nearest gas station and the GPS showed one just 5 miles farther on.  I've had allot of bad experiences in the past with bad directions from a GPS, but there were about 4 more gas stations beyond that one.  So I carried on.

The first station was closed, as was the second, and third.  The 4th had gas, or so the guy thought.  Only one gallon came out and I'm sure it was pretty nasty gas having come from the very bottom of the tank.  But he told me the 5th station really existed and had allot of gas and was only 3 miles farther on.

We got our gas and a few snacks from the guy in the little convenience store.  I felt allot better with a full tank, but I'd wasted another 40 minutes in getting it.

The sun was sinking now and I decided not to ride the North of Black Canyon.  In hind sight, I had plenty of time and the weather was holding, but I rode back to Gunnison.

We stopped at Taco Bell for dinner and it hit the spot for each of us.  And was allot cheaper than the last few meals.

We went for another swim back at the hotel, then watched Shrek the 3rd in the room with some microwave popcorn.




Interesting Rock formations


Pretty walls around us


Sydnee really likes Rocks


Sydnee also likes the sky


Freezing on Cochetopa Pass


Storms gathering around us


More rocks


Our favorite canyon


More of the canyon


Is this a river, creek, stream, what?


Tall canyon walls


More walls

No comments:

Post a Comment