Friday, June 6, 2014

Day ride to Chama

Tuesday June 3rd, 2014

I woke up at 6:30.  We have 7 people in the timeshare and I knew that if I wanted a shower, I'd have to be early and quick.  Plus I knew that if I got my shower done, my wife's sisters could use the shower in our room rather than making everyone use the common shower.

Last night, when I asked what everyone wanted for breakfast, no one really had any suggestions.  So I started throwing out options till the idea of pancakes was accepted.  This morning I ran to the store for a few ingredients (all of them) including mix, butter, syrup, sugar free syrup, and a few other necessities.

Cooking the pancakes was quick, so I fed everyone as they emerged from showering and soon everyone was fed and ready for the day.

Nina, Nola, and Raenie were headed for Durango this morning.  Nina and Nola are Nannette's sisters, and Raenie is Nola's grand daughter.  I've taken to calling them "The Gaggle" because they're always moving and making noise.  The Gaggle are driving to Durango, then taking a bus from Durango up to Silverton, then riding the train back to Durango.  Doing a full round trip between Durango and Silverton is just too long, so bussing half way is allot better.

John, Angela, Nannette, and I were planning a ride over to Chama New Mexico, then over to Taos.  Pobably not all the way to Taos because the last 30 miles is miserable, and Taos isn't actually that pretty or fun.  So we plan to ride till the trees start to run out, then turn around and come back.

On these motorcycle trips, Nan has always followed along in a car rather than riding behind me on the bike.  She says she feels so out of control sitting behind me like that, and I always have to remind her that she's not supposed to be in control in a car's passenger seat either.  She just doesn't enjoy the feeling of riding a motorcycle and that's OK with me.  These trips are meant to be enjoyed, not tolerated.

So this morning, when Nan announced that she'd brought my spare motorcycle helmet and was willing (wanted might be a strong word) to ride behind me to Chama,  we were all dumbfounded.  I asked her several times if she was sure and she said yes.  Holy Smokes, she must really love me.

We got the bikes prepped and headed out to gas up the bikes, then through town to the Chama road.

Nan and I chatted as we rode along.  We have CB radios on all the bikes and in Nan's car, so we often chat, but chatting over the bike's intercom is allot more fun.  Nan was singing along with the music and I was taking extra care to avoid bunps in the road.

The morning was about as perfect as you can get.  Clear skies, about 70 degrees, no wind, and just a great feel to the air.  I hope she was enjoying it.  She said she was, but like I said, she loves me enough to lie to me to make me feel good.

We stopped on the New Mexico / Colorado border for pictures and to stretch our legs.  Nan was still doing good and willing to keep going, so after a good rest, we mounted up and continued the ride.

After about an hour of riding, we reached Chama.  I'd planned to at least take a break here, but Nan said she was reaching her half way point.  We all talked a bit and agreed that we should eat lunch here, then we'd figure out what to do next.

We rode through town and picked a little cafe for lunch near the North end of town.  There were some Harleys pulled up out front, so we figued that was a good sign.  We were a bit disappointed in the food, but the conversation and company was top notch.

After lunch, Nan said she was tired.  She said it would be ok for us to ride on toward Taos and she'd wait for us in Chama, but we all agreed to head back.  I did ask Nan if she'd mind a short ride North out of town up the Cumbre Pass and she said sure.  So we rode up a beautiful little valley with a gently winding road to the top of the pass.  We turned around, then stopped half way down to take more pictures.

The wind was blowing just a bit, and the temperature had dropped to the point of being just a bit chilly.  The road isn't heavily traveled, so it was very quiet.  A small farm house sat in the middle of the valley and we talked about what it would be like living in seclusion like that.  I don't think I could do it, I need to be around people, even if I don't always like being around people.

We mounted up again and headed back towards Pagosa Springs.  This was where I made my biggest mistake.  We turned the bikes North West and twisted the throttle, thinking that getting Nan back soon would be the best thing, but we should have continued taking the breaks every 20 minutes or so.  The hour long, non-stop, ride to Pagosa left Nan with a bad headache.

We got back by 4:00 and Nan took a nap while I went to get groceries to fix dinner.

Nan brought some of the pulled pork that was left over from the Wedding Reception.  I bought corn on the cob, rolls, butter, and salad.  Actually, I forgot the salad and Nan had to run back with me to get it.

We had it all ready by 6:30 when the Gaggle returned from Durango.  They had a great trip and loved riding the train.

We all sat down to dinner and shared our stories of the day.

After dinner, Nan and her sisters went to the hot springs in Pagosa.  The resort sells discount tickets to the springs for about $21.

The rest of the evening was peaceful.  Raenie and I watched some chick flic movie and talked about her high school graduation and her plans for the future.

I went to sleep about 10 while Nan and the Gaggle talked and enjoyed their last night together.


Ready for our ride


Riding toward Chama.  That's Nan on the back of my bike


More proof that Nan was on the bike


Some real beauties


Colorful Colorado


Riding toward Chama


Stopped on Cumbres Pass above Chama


Posing on Cumbres Pass


Chama New Mexico


Headed back to Pagosa


Cumbres Pass with the Cumbres Toltec railroad tracks


No comments:

Post a Comment