Thursday, April 10, 2014

Carlsbad and Texas Hill Country Ride - Day 1

This was originally going to be day 0, or day -1 if you don't believe in day 0 of a trip. But it's turning out to be day 1.

The plan was for me to leave tomorrow morning and ride 550 miles down to Carlsbad New Mexico, all in one day. That's a long ride, but it's not horrible. I've done rides that long many times. But Nan was a little concerned about me going that far and said I should consider leaving early.

Welll.... I am a loving husband, and if my wife realllllly wants me to spend an extra day riding, I guess I can suffer and bow to her wishes.

So last night I gathered most of my things into a few big piles, then this morning between reading source code for work, cooking eggs for my grand daughter, responding to emails, setting up the blog email feeder, and re-activating my SPOT GPS locator, I packed up the bike.

Now I'm all set, except that I'm still going to try to get some work done today. I've already got quite a bit done already though. I spent a few hours last night looking through code for a big, and this morning doing the same thing. I eventually found it, but my mind kept wandering off to flower lined highways and beautifully lit caverns.

Now I'm at work. I fixed the bug I found this morning and that seems to be working. Then I attended a conference call. Now I'm writing this and about to head off for lunch with my wife, a bit more work, then onto the road.

So here's a few things about the trip:

The Plan:

  • Ride to Carlsbad Caverns Thursday and Friday
  • Tour Carlsbad Caverns Saturday Morning
  • Ride to Ft Stockton to meet up with John Saturday Night
  • Ride to Kerville, Tx Sunday, do a little touring around the hill country
  • Ride and tour for a few days, probably staying in Kerville till we're bored
  • Ride home


My SPOT GPS tracks me as I ride around. You can see the map at: https://tinyurl.com/claysfindmespot

Here's a photo of the bike all loaded and ready







1 comment: