Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Utah National Parks Ride - Day 6

We started the day in Arches National Park.  The temperature in Moab is supposed to reach 108 degrees today so we want to be WAY out of the area before that happens.  We rode through the park with only a single stop for pictures and were back out before 9:00.

We headed South out of Moab with nice cool temperatures.  It was only warm by the time we turned East onto the La Sal highway.  This highway climbs up as it passes near the La Sal mountains and the temperatures dropped back down into the chilly range.  The road beautiful weaving through the forest and the occasional cultivated fields.

As the road reaches the East side of the mountain it begins descending through cuts and canyons.  We stopped at the Colorado Border to drink and take a few pictures.  The whole time we were stopped only 3 cars passed by, and a bicyclist riding up the way we had come.  He was 40+ miles from Moab and didn't seem to have much stuff with him.  I hope he had a crew following him but I didn't see one.

We continued riding into Colorado and the road continued descending.  Finally we dropped off the edge of the mesa near a community called Paradox.  I remember my parents talking about Paradox as a kid.  It was very green with many cultivated fields across the valley floor.  We also rode through Bedrock.  In the past I've stopped at the Bedrock general store, but it was closed and for sale.  I think it was for sale last time too, but it looked a little more permanent this time.

Temps were still comfortable as we rode on, but as we neared Naturita the temps really shot up.  We got gas at the Naturita general store.  I had to go in and ask the lady to turn the pump on so we could get gas.  She only put $10 on the pumps which didn't quite fill both bikes, then we had the continuing skrew up as I tried to get the pump all the way off so she could reset it and add more.  By the time the bikes were gassed, we had bought more gatorades, and paid for it all I was sweating and the temps were killing us.

Naturita is my first home.  I was born in nearby Montrose, but my parents lived in Naturita at the time.  We about 5 miles North to get to the old farm and house where my parents lived.  The house is unoccupied and falling down now, but the fields were green and full of hay.  I remember my dad telling me that he and my brothers all spent days and days picking rocks out of the fields when they first moved there.  I guess it was nice to see the farm flourishing.

But the house is very sad to look at.  All the siding has come off leaving an odd Red exterior.  The inside is filled with old office equipment, furniture, and appliances.  I think it's just a junk yard for whoever owns it.  Kyle and I peeked around a bit of the main floor, but there is no way to go upstairs and I'm sure it wouldn't be safe to do so anyway.  The front door has fallen apart since the last time I was here 3 years ago.  I thought about taking the front door lock with me, but the door's main frame is still too solid to bust apart and I didn't have the tools to remove the lock. I guess I'll just take memories.

We went back to Naturita via the town of Nucla.  The two towns sit very close to each other and there is a back road near the farm that crosses the river and leads into Nucla.  3 years ago when I rode this way I hit a deer.  I was very careful and wary this time because I was sure that deer was just waiting for me to come by again.  Nothing happened this time.

I looked around Naturita a bit and saw many closed businesses.  I pass through every so often because it's one of the ways to drive from Colorado Springs to Blanding Utah where I have family.  If I have the time, I'll usually pass through.  Anyway, the tire shop where we once had to wait 5 hours for a motorcycle tire repair was closed.  The cement company that helped fill the flat tire so we could limp into the tire shop was closed.  A restaurant that I've never eaten in was closed.  The economy has not been kind here.

We stopped for lunch in Naturita at Blondie's.  It's just a small town burger joint.  The burger was ok and the fries were great.  The place was cool and comfortable.  The lady at the General Store told us that the owner of Blondies only opens a few days a week and has to work elsewhere to make ends meet.

We continued East after lunch.  Right after Naturita the road starts climbing and the temperatures dropped back down to a comfortable level.  We pass the local county fair and saw a rodeo going on with lots of horses and cows.  I thought about stopping but I wasn't sure if the temps would continue climbing.  We've had enough heat for one trip.

We continued to climb until we came to the edge of the mesa that drops back down to the river.  There was road repair going on with a long one way section but we lucked out and joined the group just going down.  It's little things like not having to sit in the sun for 20 minutes that make you feel blessed sometimes.

At the bottom of the mesa the road starts following the river (creek, stream?) and winds up a narrow canyon.  Even though we were fairly low, the water kept the temperatures down.  There are lots of twists and the road was fun to ride.  When we reached the Telluride turnoff I turned and found a nice shady spot by the side of the river to stop and drink some more gatorade.  The water looked cool and refresh but we didn't get in.

More riding up canyons as we headed towards Ridgway. The road climbs again until you cross a pass.  There was a turnout with some great views of the surrounding mountains.  I don't know if any of these are higher than 14,000 feet but they sure were tall and pretty.

Colorado has a thing about 14,000 foot mountains.  We have allot of them.  One site lists 53 but I think the number is subject to interpretations.  Anyway allot of people like to climb 14ers and the goal I guess is to climb them all.  Thus my interest in whether these particular mounts are or are not higher than 14,000 feet.

The road descends rapidly down into Ridgway with some very gentle sweeping turns.  It's easy to get your speed way up on these roads.

We gassed in Ridgway and headed North on a major highway towards Montrose.  It didn't feel like we were descending much but the vegetation rapidly thinned and the temperatures rose very quickly.  By the time we got to Montrose we were sweating again.  We found our hotel and checked in as quickly as we could.

It's hard to believe we only have one more day left.

Heading North out of Moab towards Arches


We rode the motorcycles up the sidewalk to get pictures near the sign, but we're both wimps and rushed the picture


I did get a decent pic of my bike though


You enter Arches by driving up a steep road onto the plateau.  The angled rock rising from left to right is roughly the road


The road leading up into Arches


Some of the rocks with the morning sun behind them


Here's what they really look like


Looking back out towards Moab. The ridge on the right side of the picture leading away is the Moab fault


More cool rock formations on the entrance road


I think this formation is called Broadway


Kyle in front of Broadway


The whole park is filled with rocks precariously balanced and look like they will fall and kill you soon.  Notice the rock that looks like an ! towards the center of the picture


Descending back out of the park you can get a better view of what the road is like


This is the road between Moab and Monticello.  I've ridden or driven this road a hundred times at least.


La Sal mountain shortly after turning East


Climbing up into the pine trees and cooler temperatures


More deer by the road.  This one hopped the 5 foot fence like it wasn't even there


Starting to descend off the plateau


Back in Colorado


Just about to start the winding descent into Paradox


A view of Paradox from the road


The Bedrock general store.  Closed and for sale


The gas pump in Bedrock


Naturiata - my first home.


My real first home


The fireplace my dad, grandpa, and uncle built when they bought the place


Blondie's


Road construction and the descent to the river


Winding along near the river


More road at the bottom by the river


Mountains South of the road


Kyle with the mountains behind him

No comments:

Post a Comment