Sunday, April 15, 2012

Texas Big Bend Ride - Day 1 - Pueblo

So here's the plan.

On the first day, I ride 600 miles South from Colorado Springs to Las Cruces and meet up with my buddy John who will be riding over from Mesa AZ.

On the second day we head East into Texas.  We'll follow the Rio Grande river on "Farm to Market Road" until we get to Big Bend National Park.  We'll stay 2 nights there and ride some of the roads and see the sights.

The third day we head farther East into the Texas hill country.  We'll ride "The Twisted Sisters" and anything else that looks fun.

I'll stay a night with my brother and then hot foot it back to Colorado.

If you haven't ever been on my trip email reports, I try to send out an email every day with a story about what went on and photos from the trip.  If you don't want to get these emails, just reply and I'll take your name off the list.

I'll actually start the ride on Monday the 16th of April.

Today is the day before I start the ride.  I woke up to about 5" of snow outside.  Even though there was snow, none of it stuck to the roads.  I had been watching the weather for a few days.  I was worried that we'd have a major storm and I would have to put the motorcycle on a trailer and have Nannette take me down to New Mexico.

A couple weeks a month I go down to the Federal Prison to help with LDS religious services for the inmates.  Today is one of those days, so I decided rather than driving down and back up, I'd just load up the motorcycle and head down to Pueblo where my daughter Klair lives.  That would get me out of the snow zone, and take an hour off the first day's drive.  The ride to Pueblo was a little chilly but not at all bad.

After unloading the bike, I headed West to Florence and the federal prison.  There was a major storm brewing over Pike's peak North and West of me and it seemed to be inching South.  So I twisted the throttle a bit more trying to get past the storm before it crossed me.  I got sprinkled on most of the way, but I made it without any getting too wet.

While I was in the prison, the storm swept in, but fortunately it came in even farther West and just sideswiped us.  It was drizzling, so I pulled on my ever so chique weather pants.  They're teal colored and very baggy so they'll fit over anything I could wear.  I've never been one to care what I look like, but I do always feel self conscious when I wear them.

Back at my daughter's house, she gave me a tour of the baby's room.  She's due any day now with her first and our 3rd grand child.   She's been having false labor pains for a week now but still nothing.   When I was planning this trip I called her to see if she was OK with me riding near her due date.  She's a sweetheart and said yes.

Snow fall the night before I start the ride.  It snowed much of the day.  Good thing I headed South early


The bike is all packed.  I'm in church clothes because I volunteer at the Federal Prison to hold church services  every few weeks.


My daughter Klair ready to pop.  The baby's room is ready for Jesse Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment