Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fall Colors Ride Day 1

About mid day on a Thursday I received an email from my good friend and motorcycle riding mentor John.  It said that he had a few extra days off work and was going to ride up to Durango to see the fall colors.  He also wanted to know if I'd like to meet him there and ride with him.   WELL YES!!!

I called my wife to think what she thought of the idea, and she said that if I didn't go do it, I'd always regret it.

So Saturday morning at 8:00 I left on one of my most scenic and memorable motorcycle rides.  But I've only ridden for 2 years, so I expect there will be many more rides to come.  I left Colorado Springs going South down highway 115 to Canon City.  I turned West on highway 50 to Salida, then South on 285 towards Alimosa.

I've never ridden on highway 285 before so I was excited when it started climbing up towards Poncha pass with colorful trees on both sides.  Clouds started to thicken the higher I rode, and a few showers could be seen to the West over the bigger peaks.  I stopped to take pictures on the pass, and as I took my pictures, about 5 different groups stopped and asked me to take pictures of them.  Everyone was out to see fall colors.

Once I dropped off Poncha pass, the trees and color went away, and it was a long ..... straight ...... boring ride down to highway 160.  The temperature climbed up into the 80s and I got a pretty good sunburn on the back of my neck.  That's the first time I've ever ridden in a straight line long enough to get sunburned on the motorcycle.

I got to Monte Vista near noon and stopped for a burger and some air conditioning.  I ate my burger, then got a milk shake to drink slowly to help cool off more.  I hadn't realized how over heated I'd gotten on the ride across the valley.

After lunch I started East towards Wolf Creek Pass and Durango.  Again I started climbing up into the mountains.  Trees started appearing with colorful leaves on them.  Then the clouds gathered and threatened to rain.

The forrests were much thicker on Wolf Creek than I saw on Poncha pass.  There were also more colors.  I stopped many times to take pictures and to just sit an enjoy the color.  At one point I found a waterfall coming down the side of the hill near the road.  I stopped to take a few pictures, then had to take pictures for about 3 other groups that also stopped.

The rest of the ride to Durango was under dark cloudy skies and none of my photos came out well.

I met John at the hotel and ate dinner at a nice BBQ place.

We planned the next day's ride and tried to sleep.


8:00 am in Colorado Springs as I left  (See, the motorcycle is clean sometimes)


Looking up from I-25 up Garden of the Gods road towards Pike's Peak


Highway 115 headed South towards Canon City.


Highway 50 between Canon City and Salida.  The road winds beside the Arkansas River through a beatiful canyon.


Puffy clouds over the top of the Collegiate Peaks near Salida.


Highway 285 climbing from Salida up towards Poncha pass.  The first fall colors.


More colors near Poncha pass


Stopped on Poncha Pass


Poncha Pass


Stopped in Monte Vista for lunch and to cool off


Wolf Creek Pass


Descending from Wolf Creek


Looking across Wolf Creek Pass


Roadside waterfall


No comments:

Post a Comment